Old Jul 29th, 2020, 15:49   #3
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
The "quiet oil" question returns.

From what I've read:
1) Results vary

2) The "heavier duty" oils from known companies are recommended. These include the extended duty versions of whichever brand.

3) People "always say" try a thicker oil. Castrol's Magnatech 0W-30 or Mobil1 0W-40 EP come up a lot.

4) I've read that the zinc compounds are what make for a quiet oil.

5) I guess since you've just changed your oil that you don't want to change it again. Maybe drain into a cleaned catch pan for use in other engines or as top-off oil and try a Castrol product.

6) If you go the additive route I'd select a zinc additive for flat tappet engines not that £20 stuff.

INSPIRATIONAL ANECDOTES:
A) Years ago I bought cases of "Formula Shell" 10-30 conv. on clearance.
It got used in cars, trucks and OPE. The 3 people involved (myself and 2 friends) all agreed on it being a quiet oil. That product had a good dose zinc. The name and the specific chemistry may or not live on today.

B) I had a '02 V70 which ticked merrily along. I'm embarrassed to say I tried "Royal Purple".
The rep told me the base oil was Mobil1 but their addpack was the cat's meow. The stuff made my engine run silently.
I'm the first guy to mock a boutique oil but that quieting effect was undeniable.
Seriously, it took 3 OCI's not using RP for the ticking to begin to return.

C) See #1 above.
Thanks for the reply, I would go the route of changing it again as its still black as the ace of spades (mmm can I say that in this day an age?) it was straight after doing it so evidently it wasn't looked after prior to muggins here buying it...

What about a flush or whatever they are called?