View Single Post
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 14:38   #1
sae70

Default Took it into Volvo for a Diagnostic Appraisal

Booked the car into my local Volvo service centre last week (Dovercourt, Chelmsford) for a Diagnostic Appraisal (£85 + VAT plus the cost of any down loads required ranging from £2 to £25).

Had almost forgotten that I'd booked it in for a diagnostic appraisal this morning but popped along hoping that I could get my gearbox worries sorted once & for all.

I’ve bought the code reader so I can read/reset the codes, I've changed the ATF, but still wasn't happy with the whole gearbox shift/change/selecting neutral thing when stationary. Infact three out of the four times that I've had the 'Transmission Service Required' warning appear in the DIM immediately followed a jolt/knock from the gearbox while stationary with my foot on the brake pedal & the gearbox in drive, when the codes were read immediately following this the code that was always repeated was 'TCM 012B neutral check' so suspecting that this neutral selection function was the culprit I booked her in for this diagnostic appraisal this morning saying that I wished to have the selecting neutral when stationary feature removed.

So get there this morning car all booked in, after about 40min the nice service man comes to see me saying no codes were found (probably because I'd reset them all last week) but indeed the Volvo diagnostic system did say that there is a software upgrade for my ECM & TCM that it's advised be installed together. I asked what these would do & the man said the ECM upgrade will improve fuel economy & the TCM upgrade will make the gearbox smoother (£11.60 + VAT each upgrade) so I agreed & was handed the keys back 30min later (Total bill £120.95). When I asked him about the specific thing I'd booked in for to remove the neutral when stationary feature, he said it was not a software upgrade that was available on this age of car (2001).

They also carried out a safety health check noting that my rear number plate lights were out, rear & passenger side wipers needed replacing, the brake fluid needs replacing & the front discs and pads are on there last legs 75% worn.

Number plate lights £3.95
Wiper blades £39.99
Replace brake fluid £59.99
New front discs & pads £215.34

All of the above prices are inclusive of VAT, parts & labour.

Didn't have any of the above done as yet 'will let you know' I said.

Oh & they cleaned & valeted the car.

So the journey home, was it money well spent, it may be a little to early to say for sure but it was silky smooth, even pulling away from the lights, no more knock or thud just silky smoothness all the way through the gears & also seems more responsive.

So a big thumbs up @ this moment in time, a very happy chappy

Will let you all know if it blows up in the next couple of days
sae70 is offline   Reply With Quote