Thread: Not Starting
View Single Post
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 12:37   #20
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Up to 1996, you're correct Tony. After that the coil was also supplied by the RSR and it's not that silly a name really. Originally the injectors were fed by the ignition switch so the back emf from the injectors was super-imposed onto the wire from the ignition witch which then by inductance transferred to the radio power feed. Reslt - interference!

Now the ignition switch only controls the operation of the relay which has the main power feed from the battery so any back emf from the injectors (and later the coil too) is absorbed by the battery behaving as a big capacitor. It's also a shorter run so reduces the voltage drop to the injectors and coil.

In 940s up to 96, it feeds the injectors and Lambda sensor heater. Post 96 it also feeds the coil.
I know why it was called that, I'm involved in EMC compliance. Its just rather silly to call a component in your design after a result of the design having a fault. From my point of view it sounds like "defective design repair part", how does that help anyone?

Fair point if I was wrong about it supplying the coil aswell, I wasn't aware of that, good to know.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post: