View Single Post
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 18:11   #26
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Totally agree.

Since getting my 2006 S60 D5 185 , 3 years ago i have exclusively used Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP Formula ( Low Ash ). I change this oil + filter every 10k

Many on here criticised this choice of oil and warned of horrendous consequences by not sticking to a 0w-30.

Well to my mind , given the potential problems with the DPF , the low ash aspect of Mobil1 ESP outweighed the non conforming to specified viscocity.

35k on i have had no problems whatsover with the DPF, rising oil levels or indeed mechanical disaster and the fuel economy has been nothing short of superb throughout.

Darryl
I agree with you, as M1 ESP 5/30 has a viscosity of 12.1 at 100c and Castrol Edge 0/30 (C2/C3) has a viscosity of 12.2, so the difference is minimal.
The pour point of M1 ESP 5/30 is minus 45c and you won't get a significant increase in cold start wear until the temp is within about 10c of the pour point, so the M1 oil is good down to minus 35c.
There is in reality almost no difference in cold start wear factors between a 10/30 and a 0/30 unless you get temps below about minus 25c, BUT the engine will start more easily with the 0W oil.
Castrol, Mobil, Shell, Liqui Moly and Valvoline all make excellent top quality full synthetics and if you select the correct viscosity and Acea cat oil, it will make no difference to the engine which company you choose.

The important thing is to get the oil change interval correct and if you suspect your oil is suffering from fuel contamination, I would send off a sample to a cheap oil lab like Blackstone (25 usd plus postage) and find out what condition it is in at the end of 10K miles. If it's too thin (Below the 30 grade range) then you can either reduce the oil change interval or move up a grade to Castrol Turbo Diesel 5/40 or similar.
If I had fuel contamination, I would just change the oil only every 5K miles and then do a full service every 10K miles. Dirty oil filters are more efficient than clean ones, so changing the oil filter too often is bad news. I never, ever use a non OEM oil filter.

Which viscosity of oil selected should relate to the average air temperature and the nature of the load on the engine (Racing and heavy towing put more load on the bearings), so if I was in a hot country and pushing the engine hard, then I would not use an X/30, but move up a grade to an X/40. Volvo do list a 15/40 full synthetic as the best oil for serious desert operations for many of the diesels.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post: