View Single Post
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 08:38   #44
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

In conclusion:
Whilst there's bound ot be a few more as I think of them, you can conclude in the hands of a vaguely capable DIY mechanic with a complete set of tools these P80 cars are very capable of galactic miles. Largely because they don't rot and are at the core so well engineered. This generation of Volvo, and the last of the RWD, are like Mercs used to be. Yet, without the crazy parts prices. Look around you, cars don't last 20-25 years anymore, and those used as daily-drivers tend to be limited to a few marques. Your Volvo is one of them.

Parts are plentiful and dirt-cheap. Up there with Beetles, Minis and Morris Minors, these P80 cars are amongst the very cheapest for parts. I recently put a new radiator in for £70. Come on... £70! Any other car would be three times that.

If you are that vaguely capable DIY mechanic you'll do fine. With an eye on this list you'll not need to buy another car for the next 200,000 miles. Can you flush fluids? Good.

However they do suffer quite a few niggly faults that if you're paying 2-3 hours labour for each, and main dealer parts prices soon make these cars as expensive to run as any other. Perhaps more so. One of these cars will not be for you. However there's no more depreciation to suffer, cheap parts, and no rust. If you're a low mileage user fuel won't be a consideration, and if you're not, consider LPG or CNG. People will moan about fuel costs, yet depreciation and servicing are the biggest expense for most on a car. These I cover for under £2-300 a year doing 40,000+ miles. Yours will be lower. You can't run a car for much less.

If you can follow this mantra, in 2018 as I write this, you'll pick one up for less than a £1000, your motoring needs will be covered. This guy, RobertDIY, is your man:

https://www.youtube.com/user/RSpi007

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Apr 20th, 2018 at 09:11.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post: