View Single Post
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 12:55   #159
blueosprey90
Master Member

Started on my effort to replace the door cards and window felts.

I had a difficult time removing the door and window crank handles. The door and window handles on the '57 PV444 have 4 holes for pins, but only 2 are used. The 4 holes are at 90 degrees to each other. So I missed this fact, and was I was working on the two unused holes. My effort to pound out the pins wasn't pounding on any pins at all, just the inner shaft. Two nights later, once I saw the additional holes, the pins came right out. Each pin about 1" long. Not original as one was the tip of a nail.

I removed the door card which is in sad shape, disassembled the remainder of the window frame and ordered some parts.

The window frame was pretty easy to disassemble. The door has a separate piece of trim that is screwed on around the entire window area perimeter. The only real trick was that the triangular vent window comes off with this piece. The rubber seals for this window are partly on this surround piece and partly on the front of the chrome vertical piece that separates the vent and main windows. It took a bit to work these apart.

Once this surround trim and vent window is off, just a four screws hold the two window tracks and one screw and a clip hold the window to the crank mechanism. I removed these and lifted out the tracks with a bit of twisting of the longer front track. Then I lifted out the window.

Very dirty, but not much rust inside the door.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote