View Single Post
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 10:11   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

If you absolutely must have a diesel engine then go for either a D3, D4 or D5... those are Volvo engines and have a DPF that is designed to last the life of the vehicle.

The "other" diesel engines in this car are the 2.0d and the 1.6d (which are extremely common to find) but are peugeot/ford engines that have a DPF that needs replacing at around 75,000-80,000 miles. Avoid these engines, unless you want to spend a lot of money "fixing" the problems inherited from the previous owner. If you are happy to fix these problems, then once those problems are fixed, the engine should be reliable.

In this day and age, those cars will have been traded in by previous owners because they've reached a point where they keep going into limp home mode due to blocked EGR/DPFs etc, and it is so much easier for a person to just offload the car and buy a brand new one on a PCP or lease agreement.

Society is getting to the point where they shun second hand cars because they don't have £2000 up front to pay for it, so they take a "no deposit" brand new lease deal instead...

Most people don't look after their cars so you really have to be careful when picking up used diesel cars of this age and mileage.

The overall cheapest to run engine in C30 is the 2.0i petrol (reliable mazda engine), which has no cambelt to change as it runs a timing chain and its pretty good on fuel and has nice performance.

Obviously no car is flawless, but if you are looking for a second hand C30 where the engine just works and is cheap to run, then 2.0i petrol is the one to go for.

I'm not saying the 2.0d is a terrible engine, I'm saying that the people who often buy it don't look after it and just trade it in when the DPF gets blocked... then the next person comes along and buys a car that is fine on the test drive, but goes into limp home mode a week later and then has to deal with taking the car back to the dealer, multiple diagnostics etc etc....it's just not worth the gamble, in my opinion.

Last edited by T5R92011; Jul 29th, 2019 at 10:13.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote