View Single Post
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 18:06   #1
xiantros

Default Radar stopped working - damaged windscreen - quoted £2,550

Hi all, first time poster here - would really like some advice from you all.

About two months ago the intellisafe features in my 2019 S90 stopped working (Pilot Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Collision detection/prevention etc.). Adaptive Cruise Control would just keep accelerating as it would not detect the car in front of me.
So I took it to my dealer to have it looked at, and they found small stone chips in front of the radar (image attached) and they are saying that the windscreen needs to be replaced for the issue to be fixed. For this, they are asking me to pay £2,550

Despite them saying that the windscreen needs to be an original Volvo windscreen, I went through my insurance and went to Autoglass to have a new windscreen replaced, as they offered a like for like windscreen (heated, compatible with the radar unit) and also offered to do the calibration of the ADAS system. Unfortunately when I went for my appointment, Autoglass refused to touch it as the car was showing errors saying that the radar module needs calibrating (the dealer had taken the unit off but hadn't calibrated it when they put it back). I told what happened to the technician at Autoglass and he was convinced that the dealer is lying and such a small stone chip shouldn't affect the radar functionality, and that they are trying to charge me more that what it normally costs.

So I went back to Volvo asking them to calibrate the radar as the car was displaying 'Front Radar Alignment Incomplete', and they told me what I think they would say - the windscreen needs to be replaced for them to calibrate it.

So It seems my only option is to pay them £2,550 and get the windscreen replaced. I called my insurance and explained them the situation and they are only willing to pay £50 towards the dealer costs as they are not an 'approved' garage.

Any advice on this would be appreciated as I don't really want to splash out £2,500 for this. Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AI-17-8526991-07-27-14-28-27-979.jpg (130.2 KB, 131 views)
xiantros is offline   Reply With Quote