View Single Post
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 06:41   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Conversation overheard at my dealer.
Well sir, do you want to spend £300 trying to fix the nav system or would you preffer to go to halfords and spend £150 on a Tom Tom that works.

I don't have nav on my cars and frankly for the above reasons never would, preffering a garman when needed, so have no idea if a secondhand unit will work. My belife is they are coded to the car and that itself is a dealer job as it needs the live link to Gothenburg to code anything on these cars even if it can be recoded.

I once baught a second hand radio for a Mercedes sprinter, many on eBay that would never work as they were coded to the vehicle they came from, only one seller offering an "Open" radio. They it seemed had opened the radio and flashed the chip to remove all the coding information. The radio then coded to the first vehicle it was powered up on.

How this chip was flashed I have no idea but it showed me that the days of find a secondhand unit and fit it were gone it's far more involved than that these days and has the potential to cost a lot of money for little or no return.

Halfords currently have a sale on Sat nav in my local.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote