View Single Post
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 22:59   #8
940volvoman
Master Member

The problem I had (and still have but to a lesser degree) is this:
Somewhere on the vehicle I have a parasitic drop.I have been trying to remedy it for years,without success.Changed the alternator to another used one without any change in the situation.So to monitor the battery voltage more accurately I installed a voltmeter wired direct to the battery via an ignition controlled relay.I was horrified to learn that the alternator/battery reading was only just over 12 in all circumstances.Instead of spending loads on a new alternator I simply replaced the part which was most likely to fail-the voltage regulator.Bingo,the voltage is restored to an amazing13.5volts.I have also replaced the big three cables- battery+ to alternator,battery(earth)to body and onto engine block near alternator.I have also added another ground wire from alternator to body for good measure.
Still the parasitic drain remains,though.......?

See what I am up against!!!!

I get through batteries every three years as the discharge cycle harms them.I frequently have to use a maintenance charger.And my holiday in September this year was the first year I haven't had to recharge the battery mid way through,after the longjourney to get there.
I have removed the siren which is a known battery drainer when knackered,and I have exhausted my options,so far.

Thanks for reading,

Shaun
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post: