View Single Post
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 20:02   #1
JynxTorquilla

Default Uneven idling and shakes after cold start

Hi all,
I would like to address an occasional issue with the 2.4 D5 engine (2010 xc60 205hp): Rough idle after cold start.
I have visited three volvo service centres and none have been able to diagnose the problem.
I also searched many forums with poor results. Here (volvoforums.org.uk) the problem was also mentioned but I did not find a case for its solution.

Highlights:
-The engine has uneven revs at idle and shakes for 10-15 seconds after a cold start. After that, everything is perfect.
-The shaking is irregular - it feels like there is an occasional misfire in one cylinder.
-The problem only occurs when the engine is completely cold after a night out.
-The problem only occurs when the ambient temperature drops below +15 Celsius degrees.
-There is no smoke from the exhaust when this happens.

During my research, I found information that people were able to regenerate half of the engine without success. I know that replacing basic stuff like fuel filter, injectors or glow plugs (which as far as I know only work when the ambient temperature drops below 5 C. degrees) does not solve the problem (in the case of my car, they were all done).

I'm not asking for random ideas although any could be right. But there would be too many for me to check them all.

I just have one question:
Is there anyone here who has experienced this particular problem and knows a solution that worked?

Last edited by JynxTorquilla; Feb 7th, 2024 at 22:17.
JynxTorquilla is offline   Reply With Quote