View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2018, 20:20   #12
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40addict View Post
Today I had a look at a 2000 V40 1.8l, just under 100k miles; interior mint condition, never seen an interior like that, sells for very little money. But it has the VVT pulley noise. The current owner says after I told him mine does it too onnly some of the time it's the same with his. Although I suspect it could be all the time , anyway the noise started immediately from cold (sometimes happens on my 2001 too). Car drives perfectly as far as I can tell.

I had printed out the Buyers Guide ( https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=160312), but didn't have time tocheck everything, if hot air and oil is blown out when you remove the oil filler cap, is it the sign of a problem I remember the tip of putting a rubber glove on there and see if it inflates but I forgot what it means. Here the engine was spitting oil and hot air and it made a bit of a mess. Is the PCV blocked ? And how bad is it ? On mine there is a screen that prevents that. The belt was changed in 2010, before 80 k miles, so per manufacturer recommendation it would have to be changed soon; although I suppose not replacing because of the time limit instead of the mileage is less of a problem. My guess if I don' use it much still good for a year, but the VVT pulley ? How much extra does the VVT pulley change cost when you do the timing belt?
I always wonder about the possibility the mileage is not accurate, I always ask myself why would one sell a car like that at that mileage ? The interior is mint but owner had put covers on the seat.

One thing that I like is the console has a carbon fiber look, really cool on this car, but is it original, didn' t know they made them like that.

VVT , you will need to get a Proper quote for one + fitting it With the new cambelt/tensioner + aux belt and tensioner at the same time ,, saves on labour,
belts = volvo say X years OR XX miles whichever is first = Change it , "oh but its only done 3miles on a 12year old belt - buy a new engine thinking

PCV , read up more and learn how it works, rather than some random dummies internerds test with a glove

Most important of all
IF the car was worth buying , youd have bought it,, rather than wait, risk loosing it and ask random people "is it worth it",, and without a Price for the car,, no one can answer ,,

VVT + belts + labour ran me about £350ish "some" years ago on mine, and it is going to cost me About the same again innabits for another set of belts + labour to fit em,, And possibly a vvt if that POS thing has failed AGAIN