View Single Post
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 22:29   #15
V40addict

The car was sold the next morning, I had told the seller I would come back in the afternoon to see it washed (because it was dusty) but another buyer showed up earlier.
Anyway, I never like to decide on the spot and in this case there were a few things that held me back. Namely, timing belt change was due so it doubled the actual cost of the car, dusty outside, not washed in a very long time, spotless inside and meticulously cleaned (therefore outside suspicious), it was a phase 1, I prefer the facelift models after 2001 and people here made me realize so many parts were changed, even the design of the rear lights was slightly altered I recently realized that despite having seen many cars and tons of pictures.

I also got concerned after opening the oil filler cap, but I think that was a case of a litlle knowledge can be a dangerous thing. I don't think there was anything wrong, it was spewing oil, but mine which has the screen and definitely sucks in the glove makes small projections despite the screen and it makes the same noise. GOOD THING I DIDN T TRY THE SO-CALLED GLOVE TEST, THE GLOVE WOULD HAVE BEEN SUCKED IN , that's what it did on mine but the screen prevented the glove from being swallowed. I can imagine the ordeal and the face of the owner.

I have my sights on another V40 now, somewhat higher mileage a little over 100k miles, very good condition, but the timing belt was changed at 100 k miles for the first time apparently, and it's not shown in the book which has no entry after 80K miles. Also last owner - who had it done - owned the car for 6 months, drove more than 10 k miles during that time and then it went to the used car dealer. Very strange. Trying to figure out who was that last user the last owner or the used car dealer who said it had been registered on a garage name, doesn't look good if someone bought it and sold it 6 months later after doing the timing belt.

Last edited by V40addict; Jun 13th, 2018 at 22:43.
V40addict is offline   Reply With Quote