Thread: 164 carb tuning
View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2018, 14:25   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-S View Post
I admit to being a bit thick re accurate carb tuning, and I certainly don't have any instrumentation for precise work. However the auto car I'm currently working on has proved very reluctant to run unless perpetually fed with a high octane aerosol. It runs fine but as soon as blipped or I stop spraying it dies.
I set it up exactly as my Haynes manual (fully in then both back 2 turns of the idling screws, then throttle stop screws forward 1 turn from cam plate) but no difference.
The car last ran in winter: I know the fuel pump is OK as it has a new one that's pumping well. I also completely stripped and cleaned the carbs, so my thoughts - could the fuel have lost most of its octane over winter? I know it did run last year, as the previous owner had a video of it running. However, his mechanic did say it didn't run well at all - any ideas please.

P

Yes todays fuel does not like being stored in a tank for a long period ..it can gum up the float chamber , pump etc .. try getting the pump to draw fresh fuel from a 5 litre container ..