Thread: s80 slow start
View Single Post
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 09:11   #8
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknowiama View Post
This is probably nothing - but it seems odd to me to press the start button so lightly and leave the engine to fire. I tend to press and hold the start button until it starts. Like I say probably nothing, just seems odd to me. Like if you were twisting a key, you'd twist they key until it starts and then release. You wouldn't just twist the key all the way round and release as soon as you met the stop.
You tend to do wrong, then. The starting system in these cars is fully capable of determining when the engine has started, so all you should do is a quick press, and it will take care of the rest.

You refer to old cars, where it was up to the driver to understand when the engine had started. And also, for diesels, it was up to the driver to observe the duration of glowing, and not turn to start until glowing was completed.

The only time you need to keep the button pressed to start is in emergencies, like if the clutch sensor on a car with manual gearbox isn't working. Then you have to confirm that it's OK to start by keeping the button pressed until the engine starts.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote