View Single Post
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 06:46   #6
Bonecrusher
Volvo 740 2.3GL

Default Pierburg choke system

Dear Mr. OldBlueVolvo,

My name is Imre Budahazi and I write to you from Hungary. My english isn't perfect, sorry about this. I bought a Volvo 740GL saloon last summer, and I have some problems with the car's Pierburg 2b5 (or 2b7?) carb. The car has very good condition. The first owner was the government and the biger part of the life of the car was spent there. After the driver gone to retire bought this car from the bureau. When he pass away, the car was waiting for new life and new driver under a tent for 2 years. This is when my story starts.

After the buying the car had some contact problems and ignition failure, therefore I changed the complete ingnition system. After I had been sucked for a long time with the hot start valve. The pipes were holey, and the car was stopped after every 10 kilometers, with indication of run out of gas, but the tank was fullfilled. I couldn't recognise the problem, because I didn't know what is the hot start valve. I used cars with carb since 10 years, but that cars has more simply carbs (like weber or solex). Then I get the black Haynes book, and I throw this valve away. The Volvo was never stop again.

Then come the winter and the Volvo give me new indicates. It won't like to start at the mornings. I had to push many times the throttle pedal, turn the ignition key for approximately 1 minute to start the engine, and hold the throttle pedal as long as the water gonna be hot. I disassemble the carb, and I see the complette choke system has a big failure. The vacuum unit is broke, the choke rod is lost, and the upper connection of the rod is also broke.

I ordered the new rod at the Hungarian Volvo HQ, but it still not arrived. I think it never will.
I buy a new vacuum unit at the ebay, but it's a part of the Pierburg 2b4 (for BMW). I hope it will be ok for my 2b5. My problem is, I can't order or buy the choke parts anywhere in the world, and i can't fix my carb.

My question is, where can I buy the parts? I saw you are very experienced about this carbs renewing and repairing method. I would like to ask your help, please. If you have these parts for sale, I would like to buy. I can pay it via paypal or bank transfer. Or if you can recommend a kind of shop I will very thankful!

I wait your answer!

Best regards,
Imre Budahazi (Bonecrusher)
Bonecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote