View Single Post
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 19:17   #29
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Oh yes, I can almost visualise the exact way it would go, as there is always one little thing that could be done to make it better, or the most expensive phrase of all, 'well whilst (whatever) is being done/replaced, we might as well do XYZ' = £££

Cheers
Steve
This is the most important thing you have said in this whole piece Steve - or anyone else come to that. The most important thing about projects (and older motor cars generally) is to establish one's aim and limitations from the outset, otherwise there is mission creep and the costs carry on drifting up. Before one knows it one has a thing of great beauty that is far too good to drive and owes £25,000... we have all seen it happen (and in these pages as well).

When I bought the RB (for 2 grand) I had an idea that I was not going to restore it, just sort it out, remove all the bling and not spend more than a grand. Here we are, nearly 3 years alter, I have spent £931 on it (plus about £10,000 of my (free) hobby time) and I've sold it for £4,500. Similarly for GAM, I bought the motor car for £3,750, had a budget of £1,500 and have a nice Amazon that will probably be the last motor car i drive in my dotage. I'm not crowing about doing well with buying and selling cars, just showing it is important to establish one's aim and limits from the outset.

I don't know anything much about 145s, but they are half way between Amazons and 240s - so I can extrapolate enough. This advertised motor car isn't perfect - but does it need to be? It is already 50odd years old - how much longer do you need it to last for? Does that little bit of rust on the scuttle matter much? You could rub it all down, treat it with some Kurust, a smear of filler and a bit of rattle can and it would last 15 years. Does the wing being a different shade matter much? It is just part of the patina - one of the motor car's badges of honour. Don't paint the motor car! You will ruin it and it you will never make the £3,000 back.

So, decide what you are trying to achieve. If you want a show winner then invest £20,000 in one someone has already got to that standard, spend the change from the £30,000 it will cost you to do the same on a trailer so you can tow it to car shows in Lincolnshire farmers' fields. If you want an interesting car to drive around then go up to £6,000 to buy this one (or whatever you are comfortable with ) and give yourself a grand budget to tinker with - but don't start taking windscreens out, changing the colour and buying chromed radiator shrouds.

Don't take this as advice about buying this motor car or not - I've never sat in a 145 - just think about what you are trying to achieve.

Good fortune,

Alan

PS. If I was in your position I might start looking for a 1983 (or there about) 244 or 245 GLE with low owners and miles for 2 grand. Sort it out on your driveway over the next 18 months with a budget of £750 and it will be worth £5,000 when you register it as an historic vehicle on 1 April 2024. Just an off the wall idea.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 18th, 2022 at 19:31. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: