View Single Post
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 23:33   #4
kilou

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bobda- View Post
Just checked the level and it is fine, it's over half way to maximum.
I'll recheck again at a later date, but I don't think there is a leak.

What is the procedure to bleed? Cap off, pump footbrake and clutch, or something totally different? I assume the reservoir to be the highest point in the system...

It has resistance on all gears, it's just more noticeable going into first from a standstill as the engine is at idle speed. If I bring the engine speed up a touch before going into gear, it becomes slightly easier.

Maybe it's a sticky clutch. It can happen if the clutch disc is not moving freely on the input shaft and rubs against the flywheel when clutch is depressed. Revving the engine a little is sometimes enough to allow the clutch to slip more and engae gears. However it could also be all the other things too. You mentionned the level is half way up? The important thing is that it must cover the hole that feeds the clutch hydraulic. If that hole in the reservoir gets uncovered it can/will suck air in the system. So yes first think is probably to add fluid and bleed the clutch hydraulic. To bleed you slowly depress the clutch pedal and ask someone to open the bleed screw on the slave cylinder (I have no idea if this can be done this way on the M56 boxes because I don't know if the slave cylinder is inside or outside the bellhousing). Just before being down to the floor with the pedal your assistant must close the bleed screw so that you can pump another time etc etc. But if you can get a pressure bleeding kit it's much more easier.

I don't think that having the reservoir at the top is a real problem. Bubbles that go up to the liquid surface in the reservoir will just get out of the system as well. But maybe if you incline the car so that bleed screw is a little higher it may be good ??
kilou is offline   Reply With Quote