View Single Post
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 11:26   #11
J4messw18

Exclamation

A quick write up:

- Flat and level ground. Make brew. Read forums, read Haynes manual, read forums again...
- Car in P, parking brake on, chock the rear wheels, jack the front up, remove the front wheel, axle stand under the subframe for good measure.
- Unclip the ABS sensor cable (two clips, bit of WD40 helps).
- Loosen the hub nut (should have done this before jacking up really, and then you can leave the car in N), tap it in slightly to ensure the driveshaft releases from the hub.
- Remove the top strut bolt, and loosen the bottom strut bolt. Needed a breaker bar for these.
(At this point the hub is pushed slightly out by the compression in the suspension)
- Untighten the hub nut fully, to release the driveshaft.
- As the hub hinges forwards, carefully pull the driveshaft out the back (taking care not to damage the splines on the end) and rest it on a spare axle stand.
- Remove the old abs ring (may take some effort). I used a fine screwdriver to lever them off. One had snapped and came off easily, one hadn't and took some persuading.
- Clean up the end of the driveshaft to make refitting the new ring easier. Again, one went on easily, but one didn't - as the old ring had left a good layer of corrosion behind. Need to patiently remove all of this (screwdriver, wire brush etc.), and also heat up the new ring slightly before using adjustable hammer to re-fit.
- Reverse the steps above.

Some write ups state that you have to remove both upper and lower strut bolts. I didn't have to - YMMV etc. Also, this advice is not definitive etc. so take care! ⚠️

The AWD still isn't working, but I figure (hope) that clearing the fault codes might help... watch this space. I'll try and post a pic I took too.
J4messw18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J4messw18 For This Useful Post: