Thread: MY21 is out now
View Single Post
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 17:34   #67
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterdesign View Post
I’m not being funny but who the hell is going to pay 17k more for an electric XC 40. Our government are in cloud cuckoo land if they think they are going to persuade us to change to all electric by 2035. There’s going to be a hell of a lot of old petrol and diesels on the road, with a lot of new car garages going bust.
Pretty much no private buyers will. However companies and lease companies (who lease to other companies) will no doubt be happy to buy them. The company car tax system is now so beneficial for pure electric that for a company car user an electric car is almost tax free. By comparison a XC40 D4 with company provided fuel could cost a higher rate tax payer 600 quid a month in tax.

My theory is that the goverment is trying to get significant quantities of BEV vehicles into use and onto the second hand market by making them massively beneficial to company car drivers. If I was in the car scheme at the moment then I simply wouldn't choose anything other than electric.

My biggest disappointment with the XC40 P8 is that, whilst I expected it to be 50k, I thought that they would load it with spec (like they originally did with the XC90 T8). As it is the spec is a bit mean so as Lexman says, add intellisafe, winter, tow bar and comfort and you are nudging 60k. Still lease costs will depend on depreciation so I guess it depends how well they think it will hold it's value......
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote