View Single Post
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 22:38   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Al;

Ref wiring diagram: http://www.sw-em.com/1800%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg

P1800s only have 3 fuse total protecting all of their circuits. 1. Battery Power, 2. Ignition Power, and 3. Parking (marker) Lights Power [...ask me not for the logic behind this questionable design...and that's putting it nicely!!]. This does mean that the current rating of the fuses 1 and 2 had to be quite high (35A) to accommodate the normal (expected) current levels. The current rating for Fuse 3 is actually also 35A, which is in fact too high (!...it should be 8-10A) and unfortunately this also means that when a true failure occurs, which the fuse should clear, the fuse may not blow open and clear the fault.

I don't mean to scare you, but from the limited info and symptoms you have given, it sounds like you have a (possibly simple) condition (like a loose terminal) with potentially serious consequences.

Before reconnecting the battery, I'd expend a good amount of effort to try to locate the source of the smoke...including looking at back of dashboard with a good light source (and possibly a mirror) and lightly probing around with an insulated poking tool...also wiping with a cotton swab and sniffing it...once you've located the melted wire or loose terminal, or area damaged by heat, report back with findings. You can also trust the color code to tell you which circuit and load device were involved. I also recommend squaring this issue away before taking any significant drives.

Good Hunting!

PS. It's important when something like this occurs to gather as much associated info...can you associate the smoke with having turned ON any particular load...can you associate the smoke with a gauge (ie fuel, tach) or indicator (Charging Indicator) working or not working or lit or not lit? Were headlights ON at the time? Info like this is often invaluable in locating the problem.

PPS. Again, I don't wish to unnecessarily alarm you, but: Replace those Lucas Electrical Aberration FuseBlocks! See: http://www.sw-em.com/tech_bulletin_3.htm

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Oct 27th, 2015 at 21:47.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post: