View Single Post
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 10:29   #2165
D4dilemma

Sadly the evidence is Volvo are being disingenuous at the very least about the extent of the problems caused by the still problematic system of re circulating Exhaust Gas on the VEA engine - the D4 180 version in particular. It seems clear the current FIRE RISK SAFETY RECALL (with no immediate solution but keep sniffing for smoke...) around melting inlet manifolds is the latest manifestation of the problem. The dealer who recently did the £4,000 of work to my 2014 D4 assures me my manifold (replaced bunged up for the second time as part of the work) is not at current risk as a result. He was emphatic this is what Volvo have told them and is screamingly obviously the cause, but Volvo are giving the impression it’s a mysterious new problem. Other posts have a similar story to my own where engine hesitation and poor running led to a diagnosis of inlet valves not sealing due to blockage with EGR gunge. A dealer’s email to me guessed the cause based on the other cases they had dealt with and the low revs “hesitation” I described. Work included replacement of the blocked cooler installed as the permanent fix in 2016. The fire risk won’t of course be helped by the combustion in cylinders blowing back into the inlet system, it shows up as an air metering fault but that is not the cause in itself. Cars “recalled” are from 2014 to 2019 which must be an issue for newer owners to be not happy about. But don’t worry they won’t catch fire just yet....Your Recall is in the post.... The time frame clearly indicates a problem building up over time IE EGR gunge build up, if manifolds just spontaneously melted it would have been picked up years ago.
I have full Volvo FSH but Volvo only eventually picked up 95% of the cost after sending photos from the workshop, their own email with broken promise about a “permanent fix”and threatening legal action. A dealers warranty manager was emphatic the fix didn’t work. It appears to keep the EGR valve clear but allows more serious build up throughout the engine. I had earlier Emap pipe and sensor issues as well.
The hundreds of posts on this thread detail the ongoing Issue and the so called permanent cooler fix which many had under warranty. This in itself,plus the original lack of fitness for purpose, represent clear breach of the relevant consumer legislation. It’s a massive problem which Volvo mask by reluctantly paying off those who complain. At these costs many cars will be prematurely written off at huge cost to owners which is naughty.
It could just be the culmination in fire risk will make Volvo own up to the problem which could be a massive VW style scandal for them, caused also by a lack of honesty. It may be why they are being coy about whether it can be fixed and when, given they know the problem only too well. The only real fix is coming clean about the real cause assuming this is even fixable. Not just stopping cars catching fire...They haven’t managed it to date and by their own figures it affects 70;000 U.K. cars and 500,000 worldwide...Maybe they are wondering whether to continue with shall we say “obfuscation” or facing a cataclysmic combination of legal claims, compensation, buy backs? and seismic reputational damage?
Does anybody challenge the above conclusion based on written and other evidence? Volvo U.K didn’t deny it in a reply, merely say they couldn’t deviate from published PR statement. Mmmmm.
D4dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D4dilemma For This Useful Post: