View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2019, 19:21   #37
JogonUK

I had an experience with snaking, altogether my own fault and one I have been keen ever since not to repeat.

In short, 4 Berth Bailey Moselle, towed by a then Audi 2.0 TDI ....

Coming home, my mate was with his outfit, had been a torturus journey home, weather/traffic etc.

Approx 5 miles from our mway jct we were sorted of racing to see who could get to the junction first, I say racing ....top speed was about 80mph, altogether reckless .....as we got closer to the junction i could feel it starting to get out of control and then real quick it was out of control.....how I managed not to end in a heap was through a bit of quick thinking and luck...

I had read about the speeding up and the slowing down.....but essentially no braking....

I decided real quick to take the energy from the situation by removing my foot from the accelerator........no brakes....and eventually the caravan and car returned to stability......so for me, remove the energy as opposed to speeding up is what worked, key being not to panic or brake as the latter will most certainly end in tears....

I learned my lesson and now usually set a mph monitor on the ext sat nav, go above the limit set and it beeps....not sure if the Volvo has the ability to do that on the year I have, it does have sat nav screen and i have the disc to facilitate it but have never used it as from memory it doesn't have post codes set it which is a nuisance.
JogonUK is offline   Reply With Quote