View Single Post
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 15:00   #11
rickyghib

I've walked away from a couple of deals on second hand vehicles purely out of principle- despite the fact that the vehicle was still at a good price.

It's just a personal thing, but IMO, if you are selling, there is value in every sale, whether financial or otherwise... Whether or not you're making £50 or £5000 on a vehicle, don't be arrogant enough to say "the price is the price" just because you're only making £50.

That £50 profit, isn't what is keeping your business afloat i'd imagine (notwithstanding the fact it's still probably a couple of hundred quid)...but, being unfriendly, arrogant, etc., likely means I won't return to you for business, nor would I refer anyone to you if they wanted a car.

Examples assuming I want the car:

1) Friendly car dealer, treats me well and gives me the time of day, gives me a little discount, or is very friendly in explaining why he simply can't go lower... outcome: i'd probably buy the car

2) Arrogant car dealer, disinterested in me b/c i'm buying a low value car, gives me very little time, makes me feel unimportant, won't haggle...outcome: I'll walk away.

Re: example 1- assuming all is OK with the car, i'd return to that dealer, refer friends to him, etc. etc.

Re: example 2- never go near him again. He doesn't know my bank balance, whether that car was for my young son, elderly mum, therefore I may have a wad of cash ready to spend on something which is worth his time trying to "deal" on, but he'll never see it, because of how he treats low-value clients.

TL;DR- There is value to be had in every sale, whether its on profit, or future sales/business. Don't overlook the little sale/man.
rickyghib is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rickyghib For This Useful Post: