View Single Post
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 06:29   #27
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palwing View Post
I originally wrote a long reply to your post Green Van Man, detailing the differences between the places I have lived, worked and visited outside the UK and their far better quality of life, etc. (Senegal excluded!) But then I remembered you mentioned a trip to Skegness was just as good, so I deleted the lot. Like Blackpool, it’s a place you visit once and never go back.

I am pleased to hear you are happy with the UK today and it satisfies you. The Brecon Beacons, Snowdonia, Lake District, are just a few of the picturesque places. However, I have advised my children and my grandchildren to leave the UK as soon as able, as it’s on a one way trip downhill morally and socially. Luckily my daughter and her children have already moved out and their quality of life is a huge improvement on living here.

If the NHS had not fatally mutilated me recently (read about it in the Press when released), me and my wife would have joined her too by now. Unfortunately, it’s too late for us now.

Apologies to all for being off topic.
I appreciate it is horses for courses. I have found a niche that suites me and I can only speak for myself.
I take your point about the moral decline in Britain and too an extent agree, however I would suggest the same would be said of everywhere. All countries have areas visitors don't go. Certainly there were areas of Bangkok I was advised to avoid. The Thai people I did meet were very pleasant and helpful, but I have met similar in Cardiff Dundee and many places between. That is a product of people rather than places.

Wether travel broadens the mind or not is debatable, ex pat communities are hardly assimilating into the local culture, rather they are importing their way of life into differing surroundings and often exploiting local conditions to live cheaper.

A point in question, when abroad do you tip as you would in Britain or at the local rate?

I was castigated for tipping too much when in Thailand, when I was there 1000 Bhat was =£20, if service was good and people pleasant I would leave a tip of 50 Bhat or 10% of the bill whichever was the greater, 50 Bhat would not buy a coffee in UK, to many of the service industry workers it was an appreciable amount. Just by visiting their country I was disturbing the status quo, but considering I had flown half way around the world and was staying in hotels they could never afford to I could afford to tip at those levels, others in the party exploited those local workers by tipping meanly even though they could afford more. Parsimony is not an endearing traight.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote