View Single Post
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 17:18   #38
green van man
Premier Member

Well palwing, I'm one of the not retired. I could of 2 years ago but chose not to.

With 44 days holiday and living in a lovely area my take was if I continue working I can afford my expencive hobbies, go on holiday and not worry unduly about the costs , run 2 cars, one a hobby vehicle. Maintain the darkroom, keeping plenty of paper and chemicals to hand, and keep my anolouge cameras supplied with film. These days I rarely buy new camera kit but there are always temptations in the Ham radio world I am prone to give into. Expencive hobbies I could not maintain on pension, and I enjoy my work, so why not carry on.

With 7 grandkids spread far and wide it's a treck to visit them, 3 in Cardiff 112 miles away, one in Manchester 200 miles away and 2 in Scotland 450 miles away, while the 7th is currently living in China.
I recon a trip to visit the Scottish branch of the family will set me back £1000 by the time I get back home, fuel, caravan pitches, meals out and treats, and we try to get up to see them twice a year in normal years, Cardiff is a day trip and is often spontaneous, might not see them for a couple of months then 3 times in a month.
This requires more disposable income than my pensions can afford.
That said I am very much a work to live man, but do belive in a fair days work for a fair days pay.

I live in an area that many people move into to retire, locals recon that if an incomer stays more than 4 years they will probably stay for life. Surprising the number of houses you see come back on the market in 4 year cycles.
I moved in18 years ago, it will be box time before I move out..
It is a differing way of life to my previous more relaxed, and I enjoy it fully, it suits me down to the ground and my holidays afford me the variety I need to continue to appreciate it.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: