View Single Post
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 07:40   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanfromdown View Post
Thanks for your replies guys I had heard its stored two places which is great but also a problem as well then Harveys you seem to know your stuff Does the module record in both Km as well as Miles eg is it convertable I sadly cant have the instrument cluster repaired or I would have done. there is actualy nothing wrong with my original instrument cluster except it cant be used in the UK so I am left buying a secondhand one that can be used in UK and altering the mileage I guess but the module will show up I guess in KMs unless that can be changed conerted to miles maybe it has to be a dealer job
Volvo probably stores the data in the Flash memory as Kilometers.
Most car manufacturers outside the USA do this.
The display of the mileage is then easily adapted to Miles by a simple mathematical calculation.
But that is not your issue.
You issue is wanting to fitted a 2nd hand DIFFERENT instrument cluster to the vehicle, and thus you will end up with a configuration in the vehicle that was not anticipated by the vehicle manufacturer.
The cluster you fit will have a different part number to the original cluster, and it will be not the anticipated cluster for the vehicle.

Volvo never anticipate that a vehicle be reconfigured from eg a USA market to a European market, or a Japanese to a European market, etc.
You MAY thus have firmware and software controls in place that cause further problems.
I say MAY as I am not sure if the cluster itself is a programmable item.
I am not sure what your results will be.
The DIM inside the cluster IS programmable, and must be coded with the correct data for the market that the car operates in. This holds some basic info such as time and date format, display in °C or °F, etc.
But how does the cluster handle differences in vehicle coding when it comes out of vehicle A and is fitted to vehicle B?
I don't know.

Even if you do swap of the cluster from the original cluster in MPH to a cluster in KMPH, you may continue to have problems as the vehicles core market data, as stored in the CEM, contains a coding item that states what type of instrument cluster is fitted (MPH or KMPH) and other market relevant data

So while I am not saying this is impossible, I am saying you need to be prepared for the event that it may be more difficult than you think.

I suggest you find a supplier that is willing to provide you a cluster on a "try and see" basis with some form of money back if not satisfied.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote