View Single Post
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 09:00   #18
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastiman View Post
After a chat with a helpful Volvo dealership, they checked their system and it appears all 163 engines have the core plug issue in the XC90, and the problem was only resolved with the 185 engine. Based on this, I either have to find one that's been fixed, get the seller to drop their price or buy a 185.
It's pretty bad of Volvo not to recognise the matter and offer good will, seeing as it could cause a catastrophic engine failure at speed.
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
I think you are exaggerating the issue - whilst it is known to be an issue associated with the Euro 3 engine (it's misleading to consider that it's the 163 BHP engines as some later E4 engines have that output), it is by no means inevitable on every car. Every week we see new members on hear with problems seeking advice, I would say we get queries on the core plug maybe 3-4 times a year - if that. I personally do not think it should be a consideration if you come across a nice car that is in good condition with history but hasn't had it done.

If you get an early Euro 4 car then you are more likely to have issues with some of the emissions equipment than you are a core plug failure on the E3.

Just my two penneth....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: