Thread: V50 Brakes : - Weak Handbrake
View Single Post
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 08:11   #4
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Had the same problem on mine.I was just about to change the cables however, did some more investigation.
As the handbrake lever had come up a bit far previously I had tightened up the cables, it became worse.
Then looked into how the system worked and stripped down a rear calliper to check things.
In the end realised you need a certain amount of free play on the lever that the cable attaches to the rear calliper on each side. Without that free play the self adjusters inside the rear wheel cylinders won't work. The levers have to move back and sit on the air stops,IIRC, i.e. Under no tension.
I set everything up again ensuring free play on the levers and all has been fine for 2 years now. The handbrake lever comes up a couple of clicks more than I expected, but it works lovely. This free play is mentioned in the Haynes manual as well. The auto adjusters have been working well since.
If you have wound the callipers back, the levers will need to return to their stops in order for the self ajjusters to take up the slack again.
The self adjusters only work when those spring loaded levers are back on their stops, the internal mechanism will then not be under tension, also check the levers are free to return easily.

Quote:
fully depress foot brake hold it there then pull hand brake on this procedure is described in the hand book
Are you sure? The self adjusters only work with no tension on the handbrake cable and the 2 levers are fully on their stops. The self adjusting is activated with the foot brake. The adjusters are just taking up pad wear when the foot brake is operated.
Unless the hanbrake going on after the footbrake centralises the cables or something?
Iain

Last edited by IainG; Aug 2nd, 2020 at 08:31.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote