Thread: V70: Suspension - Rear trailing arm bush.
View Single Post
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 00:35   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Thanks for your reply. I thought this would have been a fairly common repair - like the drop links or wishbones on P2's. but with only one response in over 100+viewings these bush failures aren't as common as I thought. Interested to hear tool is heavy and fitting of bushes is not as quick as you thought. I have seen a couple of utube videos and it looks very simple and quick. The tool plus bushes cost is not too far away from what Volvo or an indi might charge. The real savings would come if you had to do the job a 2nd time, which if you used poly bushes could be never.

Cheers Bob.
I've had my rear trailing arm bushes replaced on my S80 (2007 plate) by a local indi coming up on two years ago. I did a bit of research on replacement & found out that a special tool was required. Being honest, it wasn't something that I was particularly interested in buying & it wasn't a job I was interested in doing either! The mechanic that did the work on my car told me that it was a right pain in the backside to remove/replace mine & he was doing it off a ramp!

On that note, my Dad has a V70 estate (57 plate) with 157k on it & the rear trailing arm bushes are starting to perish slightly on his car too... It was MOT'd at the same indi that did the work on mine. There's no excessive movement or noise yet, but I was told when collecting the car on my Dad's behalf that they won't last forever & will need replacing at some point. When the time comes, I'll let the garage replace them.

Just one last thing to note, you'll need to get an alignment after getting the rear trailing arm bushes replaced.