Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2021, 11:01   #674
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Mail-drop via carrier pigeon?

I think he's exhausted all normal possibilities now so he's somewhat stuck. I would hazard a guess he'll do one of two things now, first put it on a now reserve, 99p start auction or give it a rest for a couple of months (or more!) then try and sell it again with a more realistic starting bid and much lower reserve price.

With the former there's a huge risk that he only gets £6-700 and i think he knows it. With the latter he could sell it as an "ideal winter project". He might get more that way and i think that would be his best course of action. The added bonus would be that it would be another year closer (by the end of the "winter project") to be Historic.
Hi Dave,

You are right: it is hard to see where the seller goes from here. I can't help thinking that if he/she had started off looking for £2,000 to £2,500 the car would have been sold 4 months ago. Now he/she has exposed the car to the small number of people interested in a middling late 1980s Volvo saloon with known issues that cost a lot to get through its last MoT - and they all know its market value is something between £1,250 and £1,750.

I have a feeling the seller won't hold onto the car. It cost him/her a lot to get through the MoT but he/she knows the welding work was only patched, so he/she is eating into a precious MoT pass certificate and knows it will all start again in February next year (he/she has already wasted 4 months).

I think he/she wants to be shot of the car, has had a harsh lesson on its real value and will have to face reality. If he/she just chips away a little more and re-advertises with (say) a £2,500 buy-it-now price and a £1,500 reserve there is a good chance it still won't sell and another few weeks worth of MoT will be wasted. It might be more sensible for the seller to follow your first suggestion of a 99p auction - but there is a real risk it might make less than a grand.

Life is full of disappointments :-(

PS. This is a 1991 car Dave - a decade away from being an historic car (if the scheme is still running by then).
PPS. If it sells at £600 next auction - I'll buy it!

Last edited by Othen; May 6th, 2021 at 11:08.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: