View Single Post
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 18:07   #50
TheLeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
...............The owner has gone to considerable trouble to locate the car, and has almost certainly found a theft 'ring' in the process...and the police are uninterested in doing any more about it. The "new owner" was interviewed, claimed he bought this exceptionally tidy 240 in a pub for £100, and they won't even do him for handling stolen goods (something which initially didn't appear to have even occured to them).........
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbcomp View Post
Somebody tried to steal my 240 last night 22/22/2018, didn't succeed so they smashed the windscreen.
Someone did that to a 940 of mine once, but there was no other evidence of an attempted break in.

The purchaser of a stolen vehicle does not acquire good title to it, so it's still yours unless your insurer has paid out for it's loss, in which case, ownership may revert to them upon payment in the absence of any agreement to the contrary.

On the subject of police lack of in interest in recovery of stolen vehicles, I suppose one way, assuming you'd located your stolen car, would be to ask the police to recover it first, and if they refuse, arrange to do it yourself and ask them to attend to prevent a breach of the peace.

It's worth bearing in mind you cannot be guilty of stealing your own property, because simply taking back what's yours does not fit the Theft Act definition.