View Single Post
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 10:38   #7
Bashy
Aged Member

Hi, thanks for the info, much appreciated

I notice you have an 827, i too had one, but the Vittesse fastback, great car, i think its in my profile photos somewhere, i do miss it, was a good car...

Not seen an 827 for a while until one turned up on my cul-de-sac, same as yours too i think and not too far from you, i am in Weeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's a long time since i saw a V70 headlamp so i can't say for sure but they should fit, if not, send them back for a refund - call Duncan on the Freephone number before you order if you like. He will explain it all to you.

Looking at the bulbs that are listed, even copying the pic link and then enlarging it, there are no separate LEDs in it, it is just one "COB" LED which doesn't give a defined light output, it's just a blob of light. THey do mention the 2.1mm square LEDs but unfortunately not a brand i've heard of so can't comment further except to say it does not look like they are used on these particular bulbs. Look at some of the other bulbs they show in the listing, you'll see what i mean.

Next, they show a beam pattern, not a particularly good one i may aadd! Also it's for left hand drive cars with what is known as "Right Hand Dip" - it's quite "wooly" round the edges and almost certainly wouldn't be accepted as a pass for MoT on beam pattern.

That shows the difference between SAE (American) dipped beam, EU dipped beam and UK dipped beam patterns. That is what is looked for on the optical beam alignment kit during MoT and it needs to be sharp, not "wooly".

I've spent a lot of time and effort, not to mention money, researching LED headlamp bulbs to find the ones that work and work properly. As with many things, the Chinese have taken the idea and produced copies, 99% of which just won't work correctly. The only ones that do are the ones with ZES "LumiLEDs" (made originally by Philips, i believe others make them under licence now as well) as they are able to mimic the original filament shape and output.
I have several sets of H$ LED headlight bulbs around that are no good, they give a light output yes but no beam pattern! :nah" The worst just had a blob on dipped beam that was lower (but only just) than the blob on full beam and dazzled oncoming traffic on dipped beam. The reasonbeing is they produced "light scatter" in the "anti-dazzle area" - the area above the dark blue lin on the diagram of beam patterns above.
This is a strict no-no for MoT purposes and given it dazzles oncoming motorists it's easy to see why!

For the record, i have no connection/affiliation with Classic Car LEDs, they're a supplier who i've used, found them to be both reliable and knowledgeable and only sell good kit that has been tested by them before going on sale.

Last edited by Bashy; Feb 14th, 2020 at 11:05.
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote