Thread: AWD Transmission: - gearbox problems
View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2019, 12:57   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Here we go again. No offense intended. Your situation has come up before lotsa times.

How many miles are on your 2005?

Do you do work like this yourself or have it done?

1) I believe the selection of aluminum for some of the actuation cylinders' liners wasn't the smartest. Once anyone gets the fluid clean the snake oil I use is LubeGard in the red bottle. The makers claim it's a proprietary lube. I read about the stuff and had success using it.

2) Did you yourself do the fluid exchange or did you pay someone who said they did? If your fluid was black and chunky a mere 3.5l sump drain and refill will leave plenty of dirt behind.
The question regarding correct fluid is important too. Dopey slobs in lube joints have looked me square in the eye and claimed there was no difference among transmission fluids.

There are fluids members here have used successfully. A 20l keg from Germany is the one I'd use if I was going to really purge my system (and lived on your side of the Atlantic). The Volvo branded fluid is quite expensive.
Toyota Type-IV (T-IV) is a readily available substitute.

Get the fluid clean and add the 1 oz. per system quart of LubeGard.

The next phase of the conversation involves detailed diagnosis. Replacement of the valve body comes up next. The more adventurous of us have made videos of replacing the aluminum bore liners of their own valve bodies.

If God came down from heaven to help me I'd love to try doing that.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post: