View Single Post
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 22:25   #10
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Spoke too soon?

Well I thought I'd cured the suspension noise on the S90, but after a run out today it's clear that I haven't.

New drop links and ARB bushes have certainly reduced the noise very considerably, but there is just audible a very slight erratic hollow knock at low speeds. You can't feel anything through the steering, and there are no funny noises when the steering wheel is turned.

I've checked all the nuts and bolts that I'd removed for the ARB bushes and drop links, and everything is nice and tight, so I fairly sure that these aren't an issue.

Re-visiting the top mounts, both sides look absolutely fine with no sign from the engine bay side of any deterioration. Rocking the car with one hand on each top mount in turn and there is some slight up-and-down movement visible both sides. However, on the nearside mount, when I do this, I can now feel a slight click through the top mount that's not evident on the offside at all. Would I be right in guessing that this is probably/possibly the early signs of top mount failure?

There is absolutely zero lateral movement in either top mount no matter how much I push and pull at the car. I also jacked the car up and tried to find any play in the struts, but can detect none. The struts themselves are clean, with no evidence of any oil leak. The springs are intact, the bottom wishbones are only about 6 months old, and have done maybe 6 or 7 thousand miles tops.

The car drives, steers and stops perfectly.

I'm not really wanting to do this work myself, so it'll be down to the local garage to do if anything needs to be done.

Could I be right about the top mount? Should I get it sorted quickly, or ignore it for now and worry about it at MOT time in November?

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote