View Single Post
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 21:44   #29
chunky2778

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY View Post
Hi.
I take onboard everything you say and go along with it completely . I`d go for the easy options first and discount them once and for all. If all else fails then I`d have to start looking at head gasket failure.
I`ve put up some pics of the areas where i`d be suspicious of. Don`t know which pipe ( No. 7 ) you`ve got but the layout is generally the same.
I`d be suspicious of the return flange from the head to the pump being blocked or partially blocked.
Watching the flow into the expansion bottle looks to me as if the pump is working and that you can feel pulsing in the return. That sounds like the pump gulping .There may still be an airlock low down caused by a partial blockage.
When you drained down did you use the drain **** at the rear of the block or did you pull off the bottom hose ?
On these engines it`s much better to drain using the cocks and when re-filling to pour into the expansion bottle VERY slowly whilst squeezing the top hose.
Thanks again for reply.

The schematic helps explain things quite a bit better, thanks for going to the trouble of posting the pics.

I'll get out with a hosepipe and have that pipe off tomorrow weather permitting.

I didn't use the block drain no. I don't have access to a ramp and I'm limited for time, so once the rad neck had blown down to about the width of a jubilee clip I just did the rad and stat on my driveway, refilled while burping pipes, warm up cap off, burp pipes some more, take for run with cap on, leave overnight with cap off, top up level.

Next day system has air in it again.

Last edited by chunky2778; Nov 13th, 2021 at 21:48.
chunky2778 is offline   Reply With Quote