View Single Post
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 20:43   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowtaV40 View Post
Thanks for all the help and advice everyone. I've been waiting for it to rain to fully check everything but here is an update...

Took the car back to the windscreen firm who agreed the rain sensor had "come away" from the screen. It was easy to see an air bubble and they blamed a faulty silicon pad. They swapped it out - no question and everything now seems to be working perfectly. They are adamant the sensor had been plugged in and the air bubble had stopped everything from working...... I'm not convinced but I am happy everything is now working correctly.

For the record, here are my observations:

1: The rain sensor at the top of the windscreen also switches the auto lights from DRL's to dipped when light levels fall.

2: The red LED on the dashboard is also a light sensor which dims the dash and info screen when the light level falls.

3: It doesn't look like the rain sensor needs re calibrating but there must be no air bubbles - you should just see a silver dot where the sensor is - the rest of the screen in that location should be black.

4: It doesn't look like the City Safety needs re-calibrating either! I tried to drive through an empty cardboard box at walking pace and was stopped in my tracks before hitting it.

Disclaimer: If your car has any other safety features other than those above you'll need to check for any re-calibration needs for those features yourself.

I've yet to check the auto wipe in wet weather but several squirts with a water bottle seemed to have the desired effect.

Cheers,
Mike
Volvo state that the city safety camera must be calibrated when the windscreen is changed , They have an arrangement with the major windscreen fitters to do this .. That is the only way Volvo will certify that the city safety will work as intended ..