View Single Post
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 14:58   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I thought you might be Ron but i've seen too many people fit an alternator in the belief that it will cope with anything to older vehicles and a huge battery and then discover to their horror that because their journeys are mainly low speed and short that the alternator isn't charging the battery. With a bigger battery (in terms of AH or A/h depending how you want to view it), this problem is exacerbated. A bit like when people are sold "Calcium Technology" batteries for cars that were only ever intended to use the standar lead-acid battery with lead-antimony on the plates to inhibit sulphation and not silver-calcium which requires a higher charging voltage to commence charging.

It's also plain to see the OP is doing this on a budget and there's nothing wrong with that but a larger battery is going to cost disproportionately more than a battery that will still be sufficient to power all he needs.

You see, when i said what i said, i wasn't just taking the technical side of things into account but also what i'd gleaned not only from this thread but from the OP himself and found the easiest words that would convey the idea to someone who expressed confusion as to the best place to fit a series resistor between two points. In other words, not electrically minded.

I'm sure i'd not doing him a disservice with those comments and apologies if so, however that's the opinion i had formed and did my best to accommodate without being patronising but giving the basic information in a form most people can accept and understand, even if there's a little "poetic licence" in the phrasology of it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: