Thread: 1800: - P1800S wing/door mirrors
View Single Post
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 19:03   #3
blueosprey90
Master Member

Congratulations on your purchase!

I'm new to Volvo myself (PV444) and my car's improvements and upgrades will keep me occupied for quite a while.

My advice is to drive your car for a while, and based on your driving experience to make the decision as to what mirrors you really want and need. Also look at a lot of period photos so you might find something that is period correct.

In the early 1970s, I drove a big Healey with wing mirrors mounted over the front wheel arches. I loved them because I could see to the side and rear of the car without removing my eyes from the road.

Then all of the modern cars started to have the mirrors mounted on the doors. Much more convenient to adjust the mirrors, but to use, I needed to pull my eyes off the road to look past the door jamb. I've always felt that such placement is less safe.

Now with my MGA, a big debate on the forum is whether to mount mirrors near the door, on the front window frame or to mount on the wings. Wing proponents are loosing, due primarily to adjustability.

On my MGA (vintage racer), I finally mounted the mirrors on the wings, but just in front of the doors where I can still reach them from the seat with my arm. My primary motivation was not wanting to drill any extra holes in the fenders.

I shopped forever for just the right mirrors, and ended up using Hagan Street Rod Fattie (round / convex) mirrors that have worked out nicely.

I have a little peeps mirror (I assume aftermarket) on the driver's side door on the PV that's less than useless and that I'm likely to replace once I start to work on the doors.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote