View Single Post
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 10:35   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Got it by default, 'LS'. We saw it on holiday in Bournemouth, thought 'that'll do nicely', bought it and drove it back to Derby. It was a nice car, but not without it's problems.

The last time that I played with carbs was on my Raleigh mopeds, which I had until quite recently, but they were simple in the extreme when compared to those on a car - I too have balanced twin SUs by ear (on an MG Magnette) in an earlier life!

Regards, John.
Back in 1984, there was a maxim in the area - don't buy a used car from Bournemouth!

With hindsight, i think it was because all the traders in the surrounding areas would send their dodgy cars to Bournemouth in the hope/belief that the retirees (of whom there were many at the time) would buy the car and just pootle about in it so whatever faults it had would outlast whatever guarantee it was sold with.

However, if it was a one owner from new car with full history, that obviously didn't apply. Also if the car was being sold by a fresh retiree who had recently moved there and decided they either no longer need a car or at least not a big one, you could usually pick up a bargain.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote