View Single Post
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 01:07   #4
c_lee
VOC26332

Arrow

Thanks Stephen - that's really helpful esp regarding your caravan length and no communication difficulties encountered over that distance ( axle wise ).

The thing about my blowout is that it might not, strictly speaking, have been a blowout.

It took a passing motorist to make me aware of the flat tyre on my caravan's offside - I hadn't noticed it in the driver's seat, must have been recent.

The tyres were date coded 2012 so I was going to change them next year anyway and they were inspected ( as I witnessed ) at service earlier in the year and had no tyrewall cracks etc.

I checked the tyre pressures before departure too.

However, when I had them changed in Kings Lynn the tyre fitter said they were standard car tyres and not really suitable for the caravan even though the combined load index was slightly higher than the MTPLM of my caravan.

They were the tyres fitted when I bought the caravan.

The combined load index on my new tyres are much greater.

It wasn't a good day that day towing to Sandringham.

When I loaded the shredded caravan wheel in the car the following morning to take to the tyre fitters I noticed I had a flat OSR tyre on the car too - the same side as the caravan flat.

I presume they each suffered trauma at the same time with the car tyre only having a slow puncture.

When I first thought of getting a Tyrepal ( 4 sensors ) they were £175 - they have dropped their price recently to £140 so I think that is the way to go.

The recommended dealer price for a new wheel spat for my aged Swift ( if you can find one ) is ( IIRC ) £135 ( unbelievable ), when you also add what I paid for 1 new tyre ( 1 side ), £80 - the price of the Tyrepal doesn't seem too bad to avoid a similar occurrence.

Luckily I picked a spat up for £17 but had to travel to Derby to collect it.
I doubt I'd find another anywhere near that price should the need arise.

Colin
The Following User Says Thank You to c_lee For This Useful Post: