View Single Post
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 00:39   #5
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwick View Post
This can be an issue on some four wheel drives, I haven't noticed anything on my XC60 as yet but the previous Merc GLC suffered from a disconcerting jar on full lock particularily when the temperature was lower than around 10* Smooth wet surfaces such as multi-story car parks were the worst, on full lock the front wheels would seem to skip to the side particularily turning right. On tarmac surfaces the effect was more of vibration. Merc described it as a characteristic (didn't seem to occur on left hand drive cars though)
You won’t get that with the Haldex system fitted to Volvo. The GLC has a particular design fault in right hand drive where either the front or centre differential seems to partially lock or be too stiff, not allowing the front wheels to turn freely at different speeds as needed to make sharp turns. This is a very well known fault specific to that model, causing deformation and subsequent scuffing of the front tyres. "Characteristic", my arse!

The Volvo issue here sounds more like noisy front driveshaft constant velocity joints.

Last edited by Quacker; Mar 18th, 2019 at 00:42.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote