View Single Post
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 11:06   #25
russells

Hi, I had been reading this thread when my tailgate would not open on my 08 V50, had to happen when we were out with our Newfoundland dog in the back. Just wanted to let you know what mine was to help anybody who has the same problem.
My tailgate would not open but you could hear the double click when the button was pressed. I changed the microswitch button first because it seemed to be a common problem from reading different threads. Although not expensive £14 inc vat from Volvo dealer this was not the problem. Because I could hear the double click when pressing the button this is the sound of the actual mechanism (the tailgate latch) trying to operate. As of course the tailgate would not open then the latch was either jammed or faulty. Getting to the the latch was not a hard job. Carefully pull the trim off the inside of the tailgate (from inside the boot). Remove the latch plug, undo the bolts & the tailgate can then be opened. You can then begin to remove the latch itself. You may need to remove the bottom trim but again this just pulls off. If you need to remove the latch hook then you well need a Torx key. I took my latch apart & the plastic screw inside had snapped. By removing the top part of the latch it can be temporaraly be put back on the car & opened with your finger from inside the boot until a new one is purchased. A new latch cost me £119 inc vat from my Volvo dealer. Fitted & back as good as new.

Hope this helps

Russell.
russells is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to russells For This Useful Post: