View Single Post
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 11:53   #5
Snoodini

There's nothing in the lock that you can break just by trying, there's two electrical components inside the lock, one is the solenoid which actuates the lock, a solenoid is just a fancy coil of wire if you connect this the wrong way all that will happen is it will attempt to drive the mechanism the wrong way and it will not open, this will not cause damage, I've done it to my own lock on the workbench. The other component is a switch. If you accidentally short through this, again, not much will happen, you may get a spark when making contact there'll be no damage done. The switch is dual purpose, when locked it signals to the car that the boot is closed. when open, it powers the interior light.

I don't know for sure, but it will probably actuate with only 9v from a small 9v square battery, I don't know for sure but it probably has enough juice to drive it. Just some wires from your power source is fine enough. Just remember to do this directly at the lock terminals and ensure you aren't feeding current into the rest of the car in case you apply voltage somewhere you shouldn't.

Terminal pin 1: Source/12v( perhaps 9v )
Terminal pin 2: Ground/0v

EDIT: terminal designation

Last edited by Snoodini; Apr 6th, 2016 at 12:31.
Snoodini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoodini For This Useful Post: