View Single Post
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 20:06   #3
brightonpad

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the welcome. I had established that it was definitely a bitumen based product (in all probability Schutz) by testing a small inconspicuous area yesterday. I agree, it may have lasted a good long time, but I still feel that correct application of stone chip then body colour is a much more robust and easily maintained finish.

And of the avoidance of doubt, yes the car will be for sale once complete - need to keep the wolves at bay!

You are right to point out the danger of damaging what's beneath though... heat was definitely out as I didn't want to damage the paint on the inside and abrasive methods would probably damage whatever was underneath, including the seam-sealer.

The photo below is probably more illustrative of the bitumen, you can see the 'sheen' on the chassis rail..

First thing was to drop the rear axle off to allow unfettered access. Never have I had such an easy time doing something like this, new fasteners, bushes etc. made it very quick. The most laborious task was compressing the springs for removal.

So, it was on with the mask and gauntlets (pretty standard these days) and carefully using a trigger gun, the surface was sprayed in small patches with old petrol. If you are reading this and thinking of doing the same, you do so at your own risk!!! Clearly, high levels of ventilation and no potential sources of ignition are paramount. The petrol basically softens a very fine layer of bitumen based product, but the resultant sludge needs to be wiped away... and it takes a lot of time, and a lot of wipes. The pile below was one of about 10 of a similar size today.

I am very pleased (and relieved) to say that once the bitumen is removed, the chassis is in fantastic condition. The primer and seam sealer has been applied correctly and the benefit of using petrol is that is doesn't attack either. Once the underseal is all removed, I will check the thickness of the primer using my paint thickness gauge but I suspect I may be able to move straight to the stone chip phase.

Some photos below - I've only done bulk removal so far, there will be a final going around to clear up smears etc.

So that's it for today, another day of purgatory tomorrow. I suspect it will be the end of next week before this phase is finished...

Thanks,
Anthony
brightonpad is offline   Reply With Quote