View Single Post
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 07:04   #120
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1monc View Post
Pretty good times for a front wheel drive Volvo. TBH a front wheel drive Volvo is never going to be that great at the quarter but all good fun. It’s funny how times have moved on, I reckon a Golf R with a map probably runs high 11s, not as cool as a Volvo obviously!

What mods and power were you running?

I used to go to the Pod all the time years ago, late eighties and 90’s. Just for comparison my standard old 2.8 Capri was 16.98 at 89mph, my 1993 3.0 M3 best I did was 13.9 at 101 mph and a 3dr Cossie I had that was running about 360bhp 13.3 at 117 mph. Best way to judge how quick the car is is terminal speed.
I gave up going there about 20 years ago as I got more into doing trackdays.

I’ve got two manual 854 T-5R’s and a F80 M3, love a Volvo!

Yeh these cars are built more for cruising and pulls on the motorway rather than off the line acceleration which makes it difficult. But since I started going there when this car was standard, it has been a real world way to see actual progress.

All my mods are really in power at the moment and car was running 390bhp but had 0 grip so spent the majority of the track wheel spinning till I finally got grip (My full build of the car is in my signiture). I had a friend there with a Gulf R32 who had 300bhp and AWD who had me off the line massivly and halfway down the track till I could actually find grip then sailed passed. So im hoping I will have a diff and some stickier tires on the next run, and even more power to throw down ... all fun and games though!

Completly agree, the new cars are impressive and very quick but there seems 0 challange or skill in anything ... just press a button for launch, foot down ... go and flip some paddles.

But yeh that M3 time is really good and that Cossie, I bet all those were fun to throw down the strip!

Also same here, I tend to go to tracks more and the ring ... but there is something about going to Santapod, just like returning every now and then. I got to say the F80 M3 has got to be one of the nicest cars at the moment for me, they look incredible and would love to see how one would be on track ... some day I will stop making this Volvo faster and try getting a BMW!

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is online now   Reply With Quote