View Single Post
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 10:18   #18
N59ESR

Default ....but needs must.......

Hi Folks
I was the originator of this thread under a different user name (I changed my user name to N59ESR, which is the reg. no. of my 940, at some point, can’t really remember why now……).
Anyways, despite the best of intentions (especially at the start of the summer last year, 2017), I’ve never gotten round to putting this car back on the road. It suddenly struck me the other day that she’s been sitting in my garage now for the best part of six years, and, being realistic, I need to accept that, as with so many other well intended projects that you see on Gumtree, FB, eBay, and even on here I suppose, the recommissioning is now never going to happen.
So I’m offering her up here free of charge to a good home. There is a wee bit of an emotional attachment with this car (as there tends to be with old Volvos, I think), so my previous comments about what happens to her still sort of apply in that I would hope that she will go to sympathetic hands which will put her back on the road (TBH I think she would be a great project for someone who is familiar with these cars – while there are lots of jobs to be done, don’t think that there is anything major mechanically or structurally). I suppose I would have to accept that if someone wants her for parts to keep others of her contemporaries going, then that would be ok (I just don’t have the heart to break her up myself, although no doubt a few bob could be made that way if I was so inclined). So for spares or repair, I suppose. But definitely no banger racing enthusiasts (been through that before) or anyone who wants her for any sort of what might be termed as car abuse (desert rallies, yumping over the fields etc, etc).
Condition wise, things are pretty much as described previously, allowing for the fact that she has been sat in my (dry) garage for the last 4 years or so, and everything that comes with that. I did replace the rear shocks last year and put fresh engine oil and filter in, but everything else is as was, really.
Still starts first time all of the time, even when she’s been sitting for a while, and she will move under her own steam for loading, but not sure I would want to tow her in any form. The brakes are very sticky from sitting, but she has been moved from time to time, so not stuck solid. No MOT now, of course, and on SORN.
Located KA5, Ayrshire, Scotland.
Anyone interested, you can contact me on M. 0785 442 2445 or thenelsons16@talktalk.net
Cheers
Stuart
N59ESR is offline   Reply With Quote