View Single Post
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 01:23   #12
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9000rpm View Post
I disconnected the breather pipe from the turbo inlet and the spigot from the valve. I left the alu pipe in place with the both ends free to air and coolant side of it unaffected.

I fitted a small piece of hose with a bung in it to cap off the turbo inlet pipe and then a long piece of hose straight from the CCV valve spigot into a catch tank.

Oil consumption like this was just as bad and no oil was collected into the catch tank.

Its still early days but I seem to have fixed my oil consumption issue at long last.

I've been reading all the posts I could on D5 oil consumption and tried the cheap fixes with no luck. I was very reluctant to strip the engine and fit new rings or valve stem seals and or fit a new turbo as someone had oil consumption even after all that!

It wasn't until I read someone said that you can check when the car is doing a dpf regen by watching what the EGR is set to. They said it sits at 94.9% while the regen is taking place.

I do mostly motorway miles so with an OBD2 reader and the torque app on my phone I discovered my car was going into a regen as soon as it was up to temperature and it did this for 20 mins. The egr valve would then start moving about depending on throttle position suggesting regen had finished.

But not more than 20 to 30 seconds later the EGR went to 94.9% again and another 20min regen!

this would explain why I never saw the fuel economy drop when trying to work out when it was in regen before because its been in constant regen for thousands of miles!

I worked out in the 8000 miles ive been having fuel consumption and oil consumption issues the dpf has tried to regen around 400 times when it should have been 10 to 16 times!

not once have I had a DPF full light on thought!

I think there is a fault with Volvo's DPF regen stratergy when the DPF is full of ash and needs cleaning or replacing (no amount of regens will burn off ash). There is no counter between regens to flag if there is a problem that the regens are happening too frequently.

I think there are a lot of d5 out there this is happening to and the oil is being diluted with diesel lowering its viscosity and increasing oil consumption.

Also I think the backpressure could be causing oil loss through the turbo seals.

I have removed the blocked dpf from my car and it wasn't full of soot but solid with light colour dust (ash?) but the downpipe to the dpf was in a horrible state, full of black wet diesel soaked soot.

a new unblocked DPF and there is now no measurable oil consumption so far!
and this is with the soot filter full light never coming on!
thats an interesting theory.. i cured my oil usage eventually with a pcv and a deep clean of the DPF but I still have high fuel usage.. (amazon are 10 days so far bring my timing pins to check the timing on the car) if the timing is ok I will investigate your pointer....

just hate the idea of pulling out injectors and paying to have them tested or repaired/replaced together with the pricking around with little bolts threaded into the aluminium head ( most of mine now have inserts)
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote