View Single Post
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 02:33   #13
Nickthecook

Cool Re: Update 9n the Throttle Body Short

Sorry it's been a while since my last update, life's a bit mad at the momment between work, Home and the Moose.

So there was a change in noise when I was poking around by the EGR/Throttle area, suddenly everything reverts to normal again. Try as I may, I couldn't replicate the IncIdent again, although it's done it briefly of it's own accord.

This is work in progress and as such I have this very promising area to look at tomorrow, so promising infact, I'd put a small wager on this one.

We now know the Euro4 has this HPL EGR and as such the Turbo Vanes, Throttle and EGR work to create the best conditions for gases to pass from Exhaust to Intake. If you cut open the thickest section of loom, slightly ECM side of the spurs for the Throttle and EGR Connectors, you will find that the 12v switchedr supply to the EGR (not labled as such on VIDA's ECM connector pin identification, but possibly PIN A82 - LIN BUS) has other wires of the same colour (Green/Grey Stripe) spliced into it. The corresponding pin on the EGR would appear to be the 12v Switched Supply. Despite the following having a 12v Switched Supply, I can find no mention of such for any of the modules on either ECM connector A or B The units I believe to be supplied by these wires are, The Turbo Controller, The EGR, The Throttle and The Swirl Motor. I know for certain the first three of these are utilized for the HPL EGR. I'm no electrical expert, but sometimes my throttle works normally, other times it's in reverse, closing to 92.3%.today under even light acceleration. . Would the loss of 12v power make a PWM controlled motor behave such a way?

I haven't cut open the heat shrink to inspect the splicing yet, but it doesn't look or feel like it's been crimped. If it's solder, the join may be badly corroded after 13years. I'm not sure it would directly effect the 5v reference as it should run independently, but you never know with a volvo. The exhaust speed would briefly spike and DPF pressure with it, therefore explainimg the lift off 'Soot Filter Full' messages aswell has Boost ones.

I should point out the spliced wires in the loom are original Volvo and not an aftermarket job. They should be there on any 2005-2007 D5 185, possibly later ones too. I'll try and upload a pic, but I seem to recall they have to be compressed, so it will probably be tomorrow.

I'll update tomorrow evening to let you know how I get on.
Nickthecook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickthecook For This Useful Post: