View Single Post
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 11:21   #1
80sRich

Default Large Bumper '74 142 - Absorber Replacement

My father is restoring a 142 he imported from the USA and has asked me to post the following question on here in the hopes someone can help.

The 1974 model year is fitted with large 'bulldozer' type bumpers which are intended to retract on impact and then return to their normal position. The bumpers are each attached to two small cylinders which are mounted to the front and rear side members and I assume these were originally filled with a gas that liquefied under sudden pressure or a gel that became a liquid. Well after 43 years in the Texas sunshine whatever they were filled with ain't there now! As a result when they are pushed in they stay in the retracted position. Replacement units are no longer available so my options are to tack weld them open or replace each of the units with some type of shock absorber possibly with a small spring.

Has anyone come across this problem before and if so what was the solution? Any innovative ideas for overcoming this problem will be much appreciated.'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0004JPG.jpg (56.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0006JPG.jpg (62.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0010JPG.jpg (68.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_dsc_0002.jpg (200.2 KB, 13 views)
80sRich is offline   Reply With Quote